Antonio Somaini is Full Professor in Film, Media, and Visual Culture Theory at the Université Sorbonne Nouvelle – Paris 3. He is co-director of the research unit LIRA (Laboratoire International de Recherches en Arts) and member of the Steering Committee of NECS (European Network for Cinema and Media Studies).
In 2013 he has been Fellow at the research center ZfL (Zentrum für Literatur- und Kulturforschung) in Berlin, and in 2014-15 Senior Fellow at the IKKM (International Research Institute for Cultural Technologies and Media Philosophy) of the Bauhaus Universität in Weimar. In 2017-18 he will be Fellow of the research center BildEvidenz of the Freie Universität in Berlin.
Since 2010, he has been invited to lecture in European and American/Canadian universities such as the Goethe-Universität Frankfurt and the Freie Universität Berlin, the University of Copenhagen and the Catholic University of Milan, Columbia University and New York University, the University of Chicago and Johns Hopkins Humanities Center, Concordia University and the Université de Montréal.
Among his main publications :
1. the books Cultura visuale. Immagini, sguardi, media, dispositivi [Visual Culture. Images, Gazes, Media, Dispositives] (together with Andrea Pinotti, Torino: Einaudi 2016) and Ejzenštejn. Il cinema, le arti, il montaggio [Eisenstein. Cinema, Art History, Montage] (Torino: Einaudi, 2011; forthcoming in 2017 in English translation with The University of Illinois Press, and in French translation with CNRS Éditions)
2. the English edition of Sergei M. Eisenstein’s Notes for a General History of Cinema (together with Naum Kleiman, Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press 2016) (French edition, together with François Albera and Naum Kleiman, Paris: Éditions de l’AFRHC, 2013; Portuguese edition, together with François Albera and Naum Kleiman, Azougue 2015)
3. the Italian edition (together with Andrea Pinotti) of an anthology of texts by Walter Benjamin on media: W. Benjamin, Aura e choc. Saggi sulla teoria dei media [Aura et choc. Essays on the theory of media] (Turin: Einaudi, 2012)
4. the Italian edition of László Moholy-Nagy Painting Photography Film (Turin: Einaudi, 2010)
5. the edition (avec Andrea Pinotti) of the anthology Teorie dell’immagine [Theories of the image] (Milan: Cortina, 2009) and the edition (together with Roberto Diodato) of the anthology Estetica dei media e della comunicazione [Aesthetics of Media and Communication] (Bologna: Il Mulino, 2011).
He is currently working on a book on the history of the concept of “medium” (on which he published an article in Grey Room, issue n.62, entitled “Walter Benjamin’s Media Theory: The Medium and the Apparat”), on an anthology of texts (together with Francesco Casetti) on the question of high and low definition images in contemporary art, cinema, and visual culture, and on a new French edition of Vertov’s theoretical writings.